Sunday, June 1, 2014

"How old are you?" and "When's your birthday?"

This is a very weird concept for some. I think strangely sometimes and I just have these sorts of thoughts.

1. "How old are you?" What they're really asking you is "How many times has the Earth done a complete orbit around the sun since you were born?" I would LOVE to ask someone the question
My point with this questions is that the number of times the Earth has made a complete orbit around the sun is an arbitrary number. When people say "Wow, you're only 18? I thought you were so much older. You're so mature." Irrelevant.  Or "You're 33 years old! You shouldn't be acting like this." Again, irrelevant.

2. "When's your birthday?" If you're a believer in astrology, this question might not be stupidly arbitrary to you. That's okay. What they're really asking is "On what point of the Gregorian calendar created 500 years ago were you born?" The calendar is completely made up, of course, but I suppose I understand the need to note this information (from a human standpoint).

When you think about it, we're just a speck. We're these teeny teeny tiny creatures on this itty bitty planet on the outskirts of this beautiful, expansive, mysterious galaxy that's mostly just empty space. And isn't it wonderful?

Why do we have to constantly try to define ourselves based on systems imposed on us by others (age, birthdate/zodiac sign)? Why can't we just feel at one with the way things are supposed to be--at one with the Universe? We are in fact born from it. And that's what I leave you with before I head off to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment